Giancarlo Marcheggiano is the Secretary-General of the European Schools.
The Secretary-General of the European Schools:
- represents the Board of Governors;
- directs and organises the work of the Office;
- has decision-making power according to the statutes and regulations
- chairs the Administrative Boards of the European Schools and in that capacity coordinates implementation of the autonomy of the European Schools;
- organises the accreditation procedure for Accredited European Schools;
- guarantees the coherence and smooth operation of the European schooling system and of the European Baccalaureate in accordance with the political decisions and policy guidelines of the Board of Governors, within the limits of the budget allocated;
- presents annual report to the Board of Governors on the system’s operation and performance and formulates proposals as part of a multi-annual plan;
- ensures the transparency and efficiency of the procedures and the quality of the services;
- participates in the selection and evaluation of management staff.