Schools must consider how to prevent breaches of data through the internet, intranet, and email systems.
- Does the school have a Data Protection Policy in place?
- Does the school have a Use Policy in place?
- Is the use of the internet, email, and/or chat rooms monitored and regulated in some way?
- Are filtering systems used to prevent access to inappropriate materials and sites on the internet and network?
- Is there a reporting procedure in place for accidental access to inappropriate materials or sites?
- Is internet safety taught as part of the curriculum?
- Does the school follow safe practices when publishing images and names of students on their website?
- Is information sent to parents via email?
Indicators of inadequate data protection practices include a lack of e-safety education across the curriculum, no internet filtering or monitoring, and students being unaware of how to report problems.