Proposal for new timetable for European school Luxembourg 2 for school year 2016-2017
- Monday – Friday from 9.00 to 14.00
- Monday and Wednesday from from 9.00 to 16.30,
- Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00 to 14.00.
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday from from 9.00 to 16.30,
- Tuesday and Thursday from 9.00 to 14.00.
Benefits of proposed timetable:
The healthy, safety, and equity benefits to starting at times more in sync with the sleep needs of students are irrefutable.
- Improved alertness, memory, attention, and cognitive processing skills.
- Improved academic performance that may be twice as great in disadvantaged students
- Reduced tardiness, truancy, and drop-out rates
- More sleep per night and reduced fatigue
- Reduced depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts and behaviors
- Improved athletic performance
- Reduced risk of obesity, eating disorders, and diabetes
- Improved mood and impulse control
- Stronger immune system
- Reduced risk of stimulant and other substance abuse, and high-risk health behaviors especially during early unsupervised hours in the afternoon.
- Reduced delinquency
- Increased visibility during commutes to school
- Long-term economic benefit. A recent report published by the Brookings Institution predicts that starting high schools one hour later would result in roughly $17,500 in increased future earnings per student in present value – a benefit:cost ratio of at least 9:1.
More affordable bus transport
Comments, suggestions and critics are welcome. Please give you opinion bellow.